Monday, January 28, 2008

My skin is crawling

I am so disgusted! We have always had a problem in our house with those really tiny ants. I remember last winter finding a bunch by the basement door. Well Jacob was happily rolling all over the floor and playing. I picked him up to feed him and as I was nursing I found a small ant crawling on him. Yuck! I then pulled 3 more off of him and 1 off of me. I am so grossed out and I am all itchy! I went over to the basement door and sure enough there are ants. Last year I just sprayed pesticide on them but now I am not sure what to do since Jacob rolls all over the floor. Any suggestions? And does anyone else find ants in their house in the winter? I am thinking that is not a good sign when the ground is frozen and we still have an ant problem. Are they taking over my house?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would go to Home Depot or Lowe's, or call an exterminator and see what they recommend. I know there is a line of organic, kid-friendly cleaning products and insecticides out there...you could Google it!!

Unknown said...

You think YOU have ant problems - let me tell you...

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say....that sounds a lot better than what happened over in PNG! That story still gives me nightmares!

But...I'm with you...a few bugs and I freak out and yell for Grant. :)

Sarah A.

The Boisverts said...

Hmmmm, yeah that doesn't sound good. We don't really get ants anymore at all during the warm months only b/c we have that exterminator who sprays for the hornets, and their spray kills everything and prevents stuff from coming into the house. You may end up needing something like that. Or Lowe's will have stuff that you'd spray along your baseboards inside and then after that along the foundation of your house outside. But yeah, I hate ants! I agree with Sarah; you could find organic stuff pretty easily, too.

Barefootmama said...

OH BOY! what is it with these pests? We had ants at are old house. soon after we moved in they were coming in through our master bath linen closest, just like "ants on parade" x 100. lets just say it was after midnight, Scott was sent to a 24 walmart to buy them out of everything they had and I was home stomping on them and vacuum them up. When Scott returned he had this great spray that killed them (we sprayed their entry point) and also Scott got that stuff that you spray around the entire outside of the house. We never saw them again.
However, NOW, when we moved were we are now, we were visited by "sugar" ants in the kitchen cupboards(definitely a place I did not want to be spraying anything toxic in). Scott's co-worker said the best thing was to dip a cotton ball in boric(spl?) acid and set it in a small bottle cover or similar. I guess they go to it, take it back to the nest and it kills the colony. (I can double check on what it is exactly if you want B/C we didn't end up doing that-can't remember what we did now--maybe just dealt with them the best i could and of course sealed all sweets and other food in ziploc's--but will do it if they revisit us this summer)

So I am sure my long winded post is of now help. Sorry! I definitely feel for you and will be praying.
i dislike ants, mice, rats, snakes, bugs, basically everything that is nasty pesty varmint(spl?) =)

Wendy said...

yah I'm paranoid about pesticides with kids and pets, I think once we used the granules around the house (on our first house) but can't remember if they worked or not. I'd probably check with someone in the p.e. field.